Sunday 14 September 2014

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

Joining the Campaign Trail

A few weeks ago I was reading Nicky Hager's book Dirty Politics feeling more and more outraged at what I was reading. I kept muttering indignantly over the course of the evening, I want to get involved and do something about this.  In the end my gorgeous wife finally exclaimed, "Well put your money where your mouth then!"  The challenge was out: but did I have what it takes to get out on the street and help change the government, or would I lie on the couch and whinge about it?  The second option seemed more comfortable, however...        

Greg Milner-White, Labour Candidate for ECB
I contacted Greg Milner-White, Labour candidate in the East Coast Bays electorate. When we spoke on the phone he suggested I might like to come door knocking with him the following day.  I must admit this was the very thing I had been dreading the most.  The thought of cold calling strangers in their homes, who might be antagonistic and aggressive, frankly, scared me. Naturally, I agreed.  

When we met the following afternoon Greg instantly put me at ease.  He ran through the script I was to use when talking with people; explained what areas we would target that afternoon and, most importantly, gave me a clipboard to carry and my very own rosette.  At least I looked the part.  

Armed with the aforementioned clipboard and rosette, we set off. Greg took the lead for the first set of houses to show me how it was done. We met people from all walks of life, some of whom were interested in the Labour Party message and some, who were clearly not. Greg listened respectfully to what they wanted to say and in return spoke assertively but humbly.  I admired his knowledgeable, measured responses. I watched and learnt, then it was my turn.  


My fears of being run out of town by pitch fork wielding National Party members never eventuated.  In fact, I was surprised how friendly people were, despite their political leanings.  One man explained I was the first person from any party to visit him in 18 years.  I felt quite proud when he called me a Labour man. I had changed from couch dwelling whinger, to an active, on the campaign trail, Labour man. Over the course of the afternoon, I door knocked about 20 houses to a variety of responses. Some positive, some not. I felt privileged that people would take the time to talk with me.  From my experience of the day it seems that is what people want the most, to be listened to.    

My gorgeous Wife and I on the campaign trail.
My wife and I decided to get involved further.  On the following blustery Sunday morning we met with some of the other East Coast Bays Labour Party activists to hand out pamphlets and fliers.  These people are the volunteers that keep the party running.  They do the slog, some, for over 30 years!  Whilst it does take a certain amount of thick skin, for the most part people are friendly and many want to talk.  We met a lot of interesting people and learnt a lot about ourselves in the process. 

I learnt that if you believe in something strongly enough then you have to get off the couch, get out on the streets, and make it happen.  

Because if you don't, nobody else will.  



The ECB Labour Team in Browns Bay 

I'm glad I put my money where my mouth is, will you?









No comments:

Post a Comment